Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Girls don't fix cars!

Last week I loaded the girls up in the car and got ready to head out to the bank and grocery store. Unfortunately, when I went to start the car, it didn't start! I knew immediately it had to be the battery, so I got the girls' out and decided we'd spend the day at home and let Mikey figure out the battery thing on his first day off. Well, my 2 brother in laws came by later that day, jumped my car, took it in for a new battery and then brought it home. I thought that was the end of that. Wrong! Apparently, a certain little almost-4 year old girl was paying much closer attention to the whole process than I thought! Yesterday evening I was outside on the patio watching the girls play. Lexi was in the playhouse, and Emma was sitting in the red little tikes car that she loves to cruise around in.
She waved at me and started a conversation that went as follows:
Emma: bye mommy
Me: bye Emma, have fun
Emma: (turning the key) oh wait. I can't go. The car won't start!
Me: well, you better fix it then!
Emma:(Looks at me as if I should know better and sighs) Mommy, girls (pronounced geyurls) do NOT fix cars. I need some boys to come fix it for me.
Me: (trying to keep a straight face) well then you need to call some boys to come help you
Emma: where's my pink princess phone?
Me: I don't know. Get the phone in your kitchen.
Emma: (gets phone)
Me: why don't you call daddy?
Emma: ok
Emma: (in a very loud, diva tone) DADDY!! I need you to come home NOW and fix my car! I have errand I need food!! (Apparently daddy must've protested because she continues, even more irrate) NO, daddy you been at da gym ALL day! I need my CAR!!
Me: Emma, why don't you try talking nice to daddy and saying please?
Emma: (pretends she didn't hear me)
Emma: (She then lowers her voice and pretends she's Mikey and says "I'm almost there") Then she turns super sweet and says "ok daddy sanks (thanks)". She turned the key again and 'drove' away. Now, I know what you're thinking. She was simply copying what she heard from her mother the other day. Um, NO! I never called Mikey the day my car wouldn't start! He was in bed asleep having worked midnight shift the night before. I do not tell him he's at the gym all day, he goes regularly one hour every morning..it's part of our routine. So me telling him he's been there all day simply wouldn't happen. The only part of this conversation she would've overheard would have been me telling my mother in law that we were loaded up in the car ready to go run errands. And I certainly was not yelling at her :) No, this was all an original production, straight from Emma's creative, dramatic little mind. I usually try to keep a straight face, but by the end of this I had lost it and was giggling like crazy. She couldn't have cared less. The actress was having her moment and it was as if I wasn't even there :)

No comments: