Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ten years.

Tomorrow is ten years since the accident when I lost my dad. I lost a lot more as well. That accident was the end of an idyllic childhood. The end of life the way I had known it for nearly 19 years. The end of my family the way that it was, and the start of something new and different, though still wonderful.
I don't feel sorry for myself and don't expect or want anyone else to. Everyone has their struggles in life, and I didn't expect that I was going to get through life without mine. I have been blessed in countless ways, and though I did go through times of anger and blame, that is something I have long ago worked through and is not something I struggle with now.
In many ways this accident and the whole wretched summer that followed feel like a distant memory and a dream. It's devastating for me to admit it, but memories of my dad are beginning to feel that way as well. Like a long ago, pleasant dream almost. But then, sometimes, it comes rushing back, and the pain is very real and very now.
I don't think anyone who hasn't been through a tragedy can understand that it doesn't just fade away with time. That just because everyone else moves on and forgets and the world keeps spinning doesn't mean we have moved on. Because sometimes, the summer of 2002 is still now for me. Not a day goes by that it doesn't cross my thoughts. Oh, it doesn't always upset me anymore. That is progress. But not a day goes by that I don't remember my sweet dad, and I pray that one never does. I want him to live on in me. I was blessed to have him for my dad, and I am very proud to be his daughter.
I think this song sums it up quite well!

No comments: